Saturday, May 19, 2012

Let Me Introduce Myself

Hi all,
My name is Sarah and I live with my fiance, David, in South Bend, Indiana. I am a 20 year old Nursing student at Indiana University South Bend and he graduated this year with a double major in Business Management and Economics from Purdue University North Central. We've been together for about two and a half years, but our love story started long before that. We live in a small little one-bedroom apartment and we're learning how to live with each other, but for the most part, it's been fun. After a long history of being apart, it's nice to know he's there - and vice versa, I'm sure! We will be getting married on September 22 (this year) and we're very excited about what the future has to offer.

In January, while I was still living with them in our old apartment, my roommates adopted puppy from the humane society. At first I wasn't all that interested (I grew up into a cat person), but after about a week or so with Sheldon running around, I got insanely jealous & thus began the dog-hunt for David and I.

He asked me to move in with him alot earlier than we had been talking about, but it was absolutely for the best and it also opened up the opportunity of getting a dog sooner. We really wanted a Siberian Husky, but for a one-bedroom apartment, it just would not be the best lifestyle for an insanely active breed as that. We started looking for small dog breeds, and to our surprise, we found a Spitz-type dog that was ADORABLE - the Shiba Inu.

We then had to decide: Breeder vs. Adopt? We talked about it for a long time, and ultimately decided to find a breeder and raise a puppy. My family never had a dog, so the only real experience around dogs is with my best friend Megan's dogs. David grew up around his father's dogs, so he has plenty of doggie knowledge. Since we don't plan on having any children until after I have graduated & started working at a hospital, we wanted the chance to raise a puppy. We wanted to go through all the trials and tribulations of training and raising our own dog. We tried looking at humane societies, but since Shiba Inus are such a rare breed, it was very difficult to find one at all - much less a puppy young enough to start fresh with training. So we decided to look for a breeder.

After contacting several breeders, and waiting a month for a nearby litter to be born, two little girls were born to the dam & sire of a breeder in Ohio on March 29. We quickly asked for pictures and sent in our deposit the next day to secure our first pick of the girls. And the 8 week wait began.

No comments:

Post a Comment